Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Let's have some fun...





.

by taking a quiz?


Yeah, yeah... but first the set-up: Last week KT linked to an excellent piece by Charles Murray on the changing face of and the increasing isolation of America's elite class.

That article got us to thinking: If we are going to bang on the elites in this country we darn well better make sure we aren't ones ourselves as much as miserable little populist poseurs.

So, take the quiz here to see if you really are a snob or can safely continue railing against snobs as living life outside "the bubble" and firmly entrenched in Main Street.


How did you do?



We're safe.


How Thick Is Your Bubble?

View user's Quiz School Profile
Guest
Score » 15 out of 20  (75% ) 
Result  
On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 13 and 16.



In other words, you don't even have a bubble.
Quiz SchoolTake this quiz & get your score



As beer-geeky as we are, we'll cop to having some Coors in the fridge from time to time as that's what were feeling after yardwork or while BBQing in August. And we have several very good friends that are smokers and who also happen to be some of the finest human beings we know.


Here are some questions that we think would fit right in as well:

- In the past year or so, have you shopped at a big box retailer or a Sears-like department store? (how that one was not a question is beyond us)


- In the past year or so have you attended either a college or high school sporting event?


- Do you own a pair of work boots... that you actually work in from time to time?


- Do you have a work bench in your garage?


- Do you own at least 4 power tools?


- Do you fly an American flag outside your house?

Quick story: Every Saturday, the Jehovah's witnesses flood our neighborhood going door to door but luckily, we thought, they never stop at ours. After doing a little research, we found out that Jehovah's Witnesses aren't too big on the patriotic thing nor are they down with military service. Yes, we fly the flag (JH repellent! - they probably figure we're lost causes) and just to make this airtight, we will be flying the Marine Corps flag from now on as well.


- Do you change your own oil?


- Do you put up Christmas lights?


- Have you scratched out personal checks or given cash in $25 amounts or less to two charitable organizations in the past year.


- Have you gone bowling in the past year?


- Have you or a good friend ever been a member of 4H or Future Farmers of America?


- Have you hosted or attended a cook-out that was pretty much just burgers and dogs and... seven layer bean dip?!



OK. That's good for now. Seriously, let us know how you did - we're all friends here and please chime in with some of your own Main Street questions in the comments.

9 comments:

W.C. Varones said...

Ouch! 7.

Am I the Newt Gingrich of the SLOBs?

I do think BwD's questions are better and I would score better on those.

I gotta watch Oprah and the Transformers not to be an elitist snob?

SarahB said...

13-16...thanks to my inland North County roots. But I do fail at Nascar. And Opra.

I agree with Charles that I like your list better, Dean. Although I'm finding bowling to be pretty damn expensive to qualify as blue collar these days.

For all the SLOB's, you can give youself a point on Dean's 4-H question...I was a the County Junior Sewing Champion circa 1984. That's right, sewing...and I like buying fabric at Walmat, bitches!

I might add, "Have you ever volunteered in your child's classroom or served in the PTA?" Cause I'm finding that intellectuals are generally too busy to bother.

Mutnodjmet said...

WC: And I was worried that I was going to be the elite of the bunch and be exiled from SLOB membership. With a score of 9 - In other words, even if you're part of the new upper class, you've had a lot of exposure to the rest of America.

SarahB said...

W.C....the fact that you allow us meat eaters to consume animals at your home cancels out any non-Transformer watching negatives you've accumilated.

Doo Doo Econ said...

9-12 for my wife, 13-16 for me

Mostly Nothing said...

Err, 5-8 for me. But I don't look down on all of you great unwashed.

Oh, that was a give away wasn't it?

I do much better on your questions too Dean.

Dean said...

Great comments, peeps!

I'll cop to a small degree of self-serving with respect to my own questions but you got to take it when and where you can, right?

B-Daddy said...

11 for me, much lower than I expected. I probably should have know better. I agree that you're questions are great.

Ohioan@Heart said...

A nice solid average 10. I'd hoped for better, but, oh well. I did do better on your questions, so I feel good about that.