Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Bridges of San Diego County


In the wake of the tragic bridge collapse in Minneapolis, there appeared a curious article in yesterday's San Diego Union-Tribune regarding San Diego's own bridges. I wasn't sure how to feel about the article's reporting that 1,500 bridges here in the county were safe but 87 were "structurally deficient". Local CalTrans honcho, Robert Stott, didn't inspire much confidence either with his quote, "I think all the bridges in San Diego are serviceable and in good condition." He thinks? I would expect far more out of a used car salesman.


"I think this airplane is serviceable and in good condition" - Your next airline pilot


"I think that grapefruit-sized growth in your abdomen is benign but, hell.... who knows?" - Your Hillary-care doctor 5 yrs. from now.


No comments: