Monday, October 3, 2011

Video clip of the day

Sloan Churman, 29, had been deaf since the day she was born and had been wearing hearing aids since she was 2 although she says they "only help so much." She underwent surgery for a hearing implant called the The Esteem Implant and here she is hearing her own voice for the first time.




In response to how well she speaks having never heard her own voice, she said she'd gotten by in life by reading lips. “My whole life I've been complimented on how well I speak,” she wrote. “I don't really have an answer for you other than I have always had a passion for reading, grammar, and English. My hearing loss was/is considered severe to profound. I've worked very hard to be able to interact and blend in…only thing I can say is ‘God is good.'”

It's moments like this where you have to pause everything you're doing, overwhelmed by the goodness of humanity and the powers of modern technology. This is what it's about, people. Stay in school, dedicate your life to research, change lives. Do it. We're going to go find some tissues now.

How cool is that?


H/T: Hot Air

2 comments:

Doo Doo Econ said...

Amazing moment!

Harrison said...

Another woman who loves to hear the sound of her own voice?

Seriously, that is cool.