Friday, April 25, 2008

KBwD is on the Air


Children of the 80s as we are, we remember exactly where we were when we heard our first strains of (pregnant pause….) alternative rock. Growing up on the Beatles, Zeppelin and the Stones from our big brothers’ record collection made hearing “Radio Free Europe” by R.E.M. in the folks’ big brown Ford van while on a family outing in Cherry Valley, CA, a musical slap upside the head.

R.E.M. was cool but nothing could top these ragamuffin gunners from Minneapolis, these oft-besotted beautiful losers who upon being informed their early recordings would be released on CD, broke into their record company offices, grabbed as many master tapes as they could and cast them into the Mississippi hoping that Prince who lived in a mansion down river would pluck the tapes like Moses from the rushes and upon hearing them would change his own musical direction…. or so the legend goes.

Anyway, never ones to be bothered with the art of commerce which in the music business meant making videos, we believe our guys would’ve fully endorsed as official this proxy of mid-80s high schoolers having some Midwest fun on their public access call-in show.

Ladies and Gentleman…. The Replacements and “Kiss Me on the Bus” off of one of the best albums of the ‘80s, “Tim”.





"...they were like the opening band for the opening band." Yep, that's the 'Mats.

2 comments:

B-Daddy said...

Dean,
My musical epiphany came in 1979. At the time, I thought that disco had killed rock and roll, but they had other ideas.

Anonymous said...

The music moves me.....it just moves me ugly. Now I know what Mrs. Dawg means when she says I dance like I have an icepick in the back of my head. I learned my moves from b-daddy and David Byrne. He's right, "I don't know what I look like."