Sunday, April 27, 2008

"Lions and Tigers and... Obama on Fox, Oh My!"


All this hot, humid weather and football this weekend was reminiscent of August. Former West Wing writer-producer, Lawrence O’Donnell (of whom we had some thoughts) was musing on things August with a screen-play here depicting a scenario where Obama and Clinton both arrive in Denver at the Democratic National Convention lacking the necessary delegate votes to secure the nomination. Good read with a short story-like twist at the end.

Also, Obama went on Fox News today for an interview that will air tomorrow and the Kos-ters aren’t too happy. (Read article and comments here for the wailing and gnashing of teeth.) This boycotting of Fox News by the leading Democratic candidates never made any sense to us. It made them appear petty, juvenile and contemptible of Fox viewers.

Regardless of your opinion of the network, why would you freeze-out a major cable outlet and thus deprive yourself exposure to millions of people? Were we running for any sort of high profile office, we could never see ourselves turning down an opportunity to pitch ourselves to the hundreds of Air America listeners out there merely because we had political differences with the network. That’s just bad campaigning.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed it and read the transcript here:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352785,00.html

Dawg

Dean said...

Thanks, 'Dawg. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Road Dawg said...

Next day, Rev. Wright speaks at the national press club.

I listened to the entire speech. (sermon) and the Q&A. Something became clear to me as the good Reverend refused to distance himself from the soundbites. He has been taken out of context at times, and when he hasn't he stands by what he said.

I found myself amused, and although in disagreement at times, (I don't believe we are a terrorist state ect...) gained a measure of respect for the man who I really only knew from the soundbites.

"Brood of vipers.... 'brood', Jesus was talkin about their Mama, calling her an asp," (paraphase) He was correct, Jesus also could use bombastic speech.

I would love to hear thoughts from the BwD crowd.

PS Fox was re running the Obama interview in place of "Geraldo at Large"

Anonymous said...

Because I have considered it a waste of time when so many more important issues are out there to discuss and resolve, I have not really followed the Rev. Wright saga -- except to know that the guy exists.

While working on something in one room while CNN was turned on in another, I heard what sounded like a sermon being preached. Yep. Rev. Wright's speech to the NAACP last night carried live. So I wandered over to the TV to see what the fuss was all about.

First off, let's not kid ourselves. The guy can deliver a damn entertaining speech. My eyes generally glaze over 5 minutes into anything not accompanied by marching bands, 75,000 screaming fans, and a 4th and 9 audible.

How much of what he says is true, I will leave to others. But he certainly didn't come across to me as anti-American in any context. He just had another point of view then the same old blah blah blah that we always hear from left, center, or right.

It was refreshing.

After he was done, I went back to what I was working on without giving it another thought -- and certainly wasn't worried that he (or Obama) was any threat to American security, culture, or values.

And I'd still vote for Hillary over Obama -- and could still very easily vote for McCain over him as well.

- Mongo the Undaunted

Dean said...

Its all in perspective, then: one man's "racist" is another's "refreshing".

Anonymous said...

Dean,

And vice versa...

- Mongo