Friday, August 29, 2008

It was an improvement on the Nuggets and Broncos, and that ain't much.




Substitute here. (And a preemptive "So good to see you again, Sally Jesse Rafael!" to the brand new GOP pick for Veep!!)

It's been a while.

As the resident token donkey, BwD asked me to bang out a few thoughts on this week's DNC-palooza in the Rockies.

My immediate thought was... Why?

I know who I'm voting for already. If motivated.

You know who you're voting for already. If motivated.

What the hell am I going to write that would convey anything different than what you've heard on NPR (We know you like to listen, neo-cons) or on the skirt-chasing, pill-popping, windbag show (i.e. EIB and O'Reilly).

Besides, there's something so much better going on smack dab in the middle of both conventions: Closing night at the Dem Show definitely played second fiddle for me to catching the college football opener -- particularly an awesome opener between Stanford and Oregon State. And Opening Night of the GOP won't even register on my radar since I'll be hip-deep in the Rose Bowl with 90,000 people wearing powder blue and bright orange. Besides, a certain hurricane currently gathering steam in the Gulf threatens to be a Ghost of GOP Hurricane Seasons Past right in the middle of the Twin Cities Party.

(Even Dubya is contemplating putting off his trip to the Land of 10 Thousand Lakes so that he can fly Air Force One over the anticipated damage, wave to people standing on rooftops one last time and wonder "What does H-E-L-P spell?")

The welfare of the environment and politics and current events get my attention roughly 345 days a year. Can I not have my 20 or so days that I live for college football not interrupted? Yes, I can (thank you, remote control!)

As you can see, I've got better things to do than watch two parties pander to a minority with the occasional Spanish-language phrase. Como se dice "I'm caving into you" en espanol?

But, a couple of random thoughts...

1) Who the hell in these parties (both Dem and GOP) picked the timing on these things this go-around? Seems to me they used to plop these conventions right after the baseball all-star game or thereabouts -- when absolutely nothing is going on -- not in the middle of Back-to-School Week, when all hell is breaking loose throughout America. The GOP's is especially bad starting off on Labor Day.

2) Dem Speeches. Hardly watched a one. Caught all of Hillary though. And after her absolute pit-bull performance I'm more proud of my cast vote for her than ever. The woman went to the body of the Bush-McCain hydra, and it was a beautiful thing. But jeez, the other two or three I did see were awful. The key note lacked energy. And the gal from Kentucky and woman from Alabama cast as the "everyman" telling his/her story on Tuesday night were just... well, a trip to ToastMasters woulda killed them??

3) Conventions. If they aren't even going to try to be genuine (not scripted party commercials), isn't it time these things went away? Where are the floor fights? Where's the gritty dialogue? The booing of a party rival trying to shout above the din? Where's the voting (I used to love watching the votes actually be cast. "Mr. Speaker, The Great State of Nevada, Home of Gambling, Prostitution, Bodies in Unmarked Graves, and Rocks, proudly casts it's 3 electoral votes as follows: Dos para el senador guapo del estado Illinois, y uno para la bonita senador de Nueva York!!"...


Or something like that...

3 comments:

B-Daddy said...

Sub,
Well put. These things have become advertising extravaganza and the Republicans' convention will be no different. I also agree about the timing. It was killing me to listen to Obama and then blog about it, knowing there was football afoot.

I really like McCain's VP choice, we'll see how much this helps him.

Anonymous said...

No kidding, SHE is the true maverick. With the little time she has been around, what are here legislative accomplishments? What are Obama's?

And she is h,h,h,hot! Subbie can compare the look to Sally J, but it's a stretch, cause yooooove got over the Hillary. Sour grapes my man, plain and simple.

But seriously, I like her approach. And it has truly been backed with public service.

Dawg

Dean said...

Hil's words were there but she didn't emote the passion... ergo, a pretty half-assed endorsement of Obama. Was anyone surprised?

Speaking of half-assed... My room at the Trop' is a dump and they ruined the sports book at the MGM.

Still contemplating laying the 20 on USC at Virginia,
Dean
P.S. I was listening to a little lefty radio on the way in to Vegas. They were at an absolute loss as to what to do with Pallin. They were reduced to making fun of the crowd chanting "U-S-A, U-S-A..." during her acceptance speech.