Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The New Dodgers

B-Daddy here. Congratulations the man at left, whose team clinched the AL West division championship today. I grew up rooting for the Dodgers and almost every year I knew that they would be competitive for some post-season action. Mike Scioscia was a member of that World Series winning organization, and a big contributor, both behind the plate and at bat.

Today, the Angels play like the Dodgers of old. They aren't near the top of the league in any hitting category, not runs, RBIs, nor team batting (.265). Their pitching is better, with a league 3rd best ERA of 3.91. They just always play good fundamental baseball, good defense and keep the game close and win. Today they have the best record in baseball. It was especially sweet that they clinched against the Yankees. I look forward to success in the post-season, but it will be tough. The Tampa Bay Rays looked impressive tonight in outlasting the BoSox in 14 innings. Try as I might, even though it would have helped the Angels, I couldn't get myself to root for the BoSox.

2 comments:

K T Cat said...

The Angels are an exciting team. Still, I'm hoping for a Tampa Bay - Milwaukee world series. I'd watch every pitch of that one.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet whoever is broadcasting the World Series this year would be a BIG fan of a Rays-BrewCrew series. That definitely has big ad revenue written all over it!!

As for the Halos -- No doubt they have taken over as THE model for the average major league baseball club (ie, any team not named Boston or New York). A lot of the has to do with Sciossia, but it also has a ton to do with an owner who actually cares about giving his team's fans a winning product.

- Mongo Eyeballing With Envy The Ghost of O'Malleys Past