Monday, November 3, 2008

Going Galt? (UPDATED)

hmmmmm…..

"You think that it hasn't already started to become a trend? Please don't forget that the very people who are saying these sort of things are *not* the sort that just talks. These are the folks who are action-oriented, start businesses and create jobs. They are not the sort to spout off and create "manifestos" and issue propaganda statements, they take action.

I do technology consulting in a high demand field and I have the ability to raise or lower my income, depending on how hard I feel like working. I am setup perfectly to react to the Obama/John Galt issue. I have read Atlas Shrugged and I am already *executing* a plan to work much less next year. Notice that I did not say that I was considering, or talking about, or thinking of. I have already shed customers and lined up a few reliable ones for the next year (and perhaps the one after that) to enable this plan.

I had initially targeted 2009 as an expansion year, hiring new people and growing the business. Now, maybe not so much.

See ya' on the other side."



More here from InstaGlen and as about as timely a book review as you’ll ever get here from KT.

(UPDATE #1): In the comments we were reminded of an "exit" tax referenced in the subject link enacted by Congress and signed into law this past summer on any high net-worth individuals who wish to leave the country. It struck us as we now have, in effect, two exit taxes: One for "exiting" this country's borders and one for "exiting" the mortal realm.

"If the thunder don't get ya, then the lightning will."
- Jerry Garcia

1 comment:

K T Cat said...

Wow. First, thanks for the link. Second, I had read the original post, but not all of the updates. Interesting.

I wonder what happens with the exit tax if you leave your money in the US and withdraw it slowly over time.