Saturday, November 10, 2007

It's Not Just the Issues

B-Daddy here. OK, I hate to admit this, but after taking the Select a Candidate Quiz, I am allegedly a Ronulan, the guy to his left was a very close second by a score of 33 to 32. I took the quiz again, not altering my positions but tweaking their importance to me and the same duo is one, two, albeit reversed. But no way will you find me casting my vote for either of these guys because each has some fatal flaws that I just can't live with. To me, this points up the importance of negatives, and why going negative is an important part of the political process.
First, my negatives. For Mr. Paul, he is advocating immediate withdrawal from Iraq, which would be a disaster that even the mainstream Democrat presidential hopefuls aren't advocating. Also, he makes a big point of some issues that Americans really don't understand, so he looks like a kook, the role of the Federal Reserve for example. It detracts too much from his message, that I don't trust his judgment. For John McCain, I thoroughly and completely loathe the McCain-Feingold bill from every angle, practical, moral and constitutional. Today is not the day to detail its horrors, but I just want to make the point that his bill is the single greatest assault on the First Amendment in my lifetime. This Supreme Court should go down as one of the worst since the court that ruled on Dred Scott, for upholding McCain-Feingold (in McConnell vs FEC) and its ruling in Kelo vs. New London. OK, enough ranting.

But the real bad news for me is that the candidate with the highest score only agrees with me only gets a 33 score. Now I am reduced to finding the candidate who is not a whacko and who only annoys me on half the issues.

Can somebody please help?

4 comments:

Road Dawg said...

I would have thought that B-daddy would have been a Tancredo guy, maybe a little too hard on the border for his sensibilities. How does Tancredo stack up to the B-daddy negatives?

I have always liked him, he’s a regular on KFI 640AM, and he talks like he’s at a back yard bbq, not in platitudes.

He talks a lot like McClintock, who I wish had a chance.

B-Daddy said...

Road Dawg,
Tom Tancredo demagogues the border issue way too much for my taste. Plus, if you watch his body language when he talks about the issue, it doesn't match the intensity of his rhetoric. There is something a little off with this guy. Finally, I am just going to overlook all of the sitting members of the House - Ron Paul, Tom Tancredo, and Duncan Hunter because no one has been elected to the White House from the House since James Garfield.

K T Cat said...

Fred!

B-Daddy said...

K T Cat,
Fred clearly doesn't want to win. His latest comments on abortion and putting teens in jail is a case in point. Although reasonable on its face, by picking up and running with a favorite NARAL strawman, I think he has doomed his chances with the core social conservatives he was needed to make any headway. I think Mitt and Rudy are the clear front runners. I like Rudy's style and ease in public, but I have a long memory. I believe that he abused hiw power as a U.S. Attorney to get the Michael Milken conviction and that worries me.