Thursday, December 13, 2007

"I Wanna Get the Lesbian Perspective....."


“From Baja to the Canadian Rockies.....

... and from the Pacific Ocean to the Mojave Desert....

.....this is Lee Hacksaw Hamilton and for the next couple of hours… I …. want to talk sports with You.”

We don’t care what Rome thinks…. its nice to have Lee ‘Hacksaw” Hamilton back here in San Diego doing drive time in the P.M. on KLSD AM 1360. “Uncle ‘Saw” had been a fixture on the San Diego sports talk radio scene for years before being exiled to do scrub-Saturday time up in L.A. at AM 570 for the past few years so hearing his program-opening “best 15 minutes in radio” again is like having an old friend move back into town…. a sometimes annoying, cantankerous and decidedly un-hip friend but a friend nonetheless.

Interesting advertisements on the station, though. Two regular spots are for Air America host, Thom Hartman’s book, “Cracking the Code” and another for “GoLeft.com” or “VeerSharplyLeft.com”… something like that.. which advertises itself as presenting the news truthfully…. from a liberal perspective.

We’re not advertising experts, but shilling lefty wares to the 18-54 yr. old male sports-loving demographic seems a bit of a stretch. Are we saying that no one in that demographic is a liberal or a Democrat? Certainly not. It just seems that by and large, that particular demo would be less inclined to go out and buy Hartman’s book or dial-up “SwerveLeft.com” than about any other radio demo outside of Rush’s listening audience.

Besides, even if individuals in this demo are politically-aware, let alone, left-leaning, these guys are listening to sports talk radio precisely because, for the moment at least, they don’t feel like listening to Rush, Hannity, Air America or anything else political. Hey, ya gotta cast a wide net, we suppose – just seemed a rather odd marketing strategy.

8 comments:

Road Dawg said...

At times, I will even listen to 88point something or other as I have had my fill with political and sports radio. Free FM used to have Adam Corolla on in the am, but everyone has "fun" talk in the am. I wish that someone would do a Corolla type show in the afternoon.

Although I may agree with Hugh Hewitt, I will stab myself in the eye with a fork rather than listen to his droll. Medved is way too self righteous, Rush, I enjoy, but too bombastic, and 570 is too much sports for me. (Although, I could listen to Vic the Brick all day long)

Talk radio needs to have a change, I listen to 88.whatever because it is the Fox local. I listen to reruns of Frazier and That 70's show.

I'm reminded of the days when Pop Pop had us in the south forty for chores, but we listened to old episodes of Fibber McGee and Molly or the Lone Ranger, or The Shadow, sometimes some Dr Demento.

Radio used to be fun. I'm the first to say that Rush and the like have enlightened us all, but I have previously made the repetative comment. (Yes Matt, I've said it over and over again)

I wish the programing directors would see we need a more "Corolla" type shows in the afternoons. Maybe even someone that reviews old Saturday night skits and short bits of comedy.

I would listen to re runs of Gilligans Island after a long day at work and in traffic, rather than boring talk radio, classic rock, or my cell phone.

Put me in charge!

Dean said...

'Dawg, one of my favorite memories growing up was CBS' Mystery Radio Theater on Monday Nights.

Since Pops hated Cosell, he would turn down the sound and we would listen to Jack Buck and Hank Stram on the KNX broadcast of Monday Night Football. "Theater" came on directly after the game so it was easy to catch.

Its amazing... I don't think you could get this sort of exchange going about TV.

Rome, Rush and Howard Stern are among the highest paid entertainers in the country and they all work in that old, antiquated medium of radio - "the Theatre of the Mind". Go figure.

P.S. "Love Line" with Dr. Drew and Corolla was pure genius. And when you mentioned "Frazier", I thought you were referring to Frazier Smith, my high school radio comedy hero on K-MET, the Mighty Met!

B-Daddy said...

Dudes, (Yes dawg, I duded you.)
You're getting me all teary eyed talking about Pops and the South 40. I always wanted to listen to Demento, because I think he spoke to my inner geek. Unfortunately, at that age, I took myself way too seriously to be able to enjoy the Fibber or the Lone Ranger.
Sometimes Hedgecock will do some lighter local stuff on the drive home, like interview authors of a photo book about old Mission Beach. That can be pretty relaxing during the tough commute along Sea World Drive.

B-Daddy said...

Dean,
I'm thinking there's an intersection with patio culture here, but I'm having difficulty putting my finger on it.

Dean said...

B-Daddy, Great call.... Is that not an outstanding site?

...and to your point, I don't think its anything more than just some good ol' fashioned nostalgia. Times change. Don't mean better, don't mean worse.

... but damned if we didn't sponsor some fine keggers at the Compound back in the day!

Anonymous said...

To wit, the reason for the abundance of rational, "left"-leaning advertising is that advertising contracts had to be honored by the station from its days airing Air America.

Mongo much prefers these leftovers mixed in with his sports talk radio to advertisements for hair restoration, penile enlargement, Bang!, mattresses, cigars, Nature-B, mortgage re-fi's, and the perennial favorite: Wet, sweaty palms.

Mongo

K T Cat said...

Temecula! Sorrento Valley! Escondido! I want to hear from YOU!

Dean said...

And I much prefer the fascist-lite Mexican PSAs over any of them.

"Together, society and government are invincible".

Makes me want to thresh wheat by hand or forge steel from an open furnace.