Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Finally....

…the Carter Presidency decoded:

JIMMY CARTER and his wife, Rosalynn, arrived in the capital in 1977 determined not to socialize with the insider crowd, a stance that rankled Democrats in Washington.
“The Carters made the vow that they would never get tangled up in Georgetown dinner parties, and indeed they did not,” said Diana McLellan, the author and onetime Washington gossip columnist. “They alienated their base, and it created a huge dislike of Carter. It was catastrophic.”


McLellan nails it. Think about it: Stagflation, Iran hostage crisis, malaise all could've been avoided if only Carter wasn't such a stick-in-the-mud.

More here on how it is that D.C. is lining up to kiss Obama’s ass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am waiting for you, BwD, to take up the mantle for one of the actual bright spots of the Dubya administration that was announced today... The enlargement of the protected area in the middle Pacific. Good day for the ocean environment!

If I'm writing the pro-Bush legacy, I have two chapters:

Chap. 1: How I checked AIDS on the African continent.

Chap. 2: How I (and the Mrs.)put an area the size of Texas in the central Pacific under environmental protections.

There would be no Chapter 3, sadly.

- Mongo Glad to Point These Things Out to The Neocons to Make Them Feel Better (though probably very begrudgeoningly about it!)

Dean said...

There is a Chapter 3 but I don't want to get a comment thread spun completely out of control, especially when I'm busy picking out doilies for the President-elect's visit.

But a Chapter 3, albeit lengthy, is about all the further I would go myself.