Saturday, January 10, 2009

Radio KBwD is on the air


...as overheard in the Barrio Logan El Pollo Loco

You’ve heard about West coast speed but how about West coast pop? The Mamas and the Papas, The Beach Boys and, of course, these guys. Their leadership in the country-rock movement in the Sixties was fresh and innovative but ironic as this genre morphed into something that was ridiculed by the punk scene a decade later as a symbol of the softness, decadence and sameness of mainstream rock’n’roll as practiced by bands like The Eagles.

Anyway, before Gram Parson joined the band where they dived into country-western with both feet on Sweetheart of the Rodeo, these guys were turning Dylan tunes into pop gems, a feat, itself that automatically qualifies them for Hall of Fame status.

Ladies and Gentleman, from Los Angeles, California and trapped by two large speakers festooned with go-go dancers, it’s The Byrds performing “I’ll Feel a Whole Lot Better”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I confess...I loved the Byrds!"Turn! Turn! Turn!", "Mr. Tambourine Man"..."Eight Miles High" used to carry me to the heights. Never thought I'd be saying: "They don't make music like that anymore." Time marches on, and the generation that didn't "trust anyone over 30", is now collecting Social Security. Yikes!

Dean said...

Sc, don't feel bad. Over the Holidays I asked my terminally hip nephews if I was just getting old or was there not any music of currency worth listening to.

I was unanimously advised and with no qualifiers that today's music scene "blows".

...and "you're welcome" for that social security check.

K T Cat said...

This is one of my favorite Byrds songs.

Would the go-go dancers in the upper cages please stop dancing? They're making me nauseous.

Road Dawg said...

My favorite was Wild Mountain Thyme, a traditional Scotch/ Irish ballad (sometimes known as Go Lassie Go)

And what great dance moves!