Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Indy..... Is that You?

Indiana Jones is back! … and we couldn’t be more excited. We were alerted to this development from a post over at Hot Air. Read here. Harrison Ford returns in the 4th installment of the Indiana Jones franchise and after battling snakes, Nazis, zombies and sword-wielding Arabs, he’s going up against the Ruskies this time around in a Cold War-themed adventure.

So in honor of the pending El Quatro, we are going to post a poll on what has been a favorite parlor discussion of ours over the years. Let’s face it…. Ford is getting a little long in the tooth to be running around and saving the free world and if "The Spielberg" wants to keep the franchise rolling, he will need to find a replacement.

We’re going to throw out some names and see what sticks. If you are not pleased with the choices feel free to “other” it and chime-in with your alternates in the comments.

Our short list:

Viggo Mortensen – Viggo has aquitted himself well in other action-adventure roles such as “Aragorn” in the Lord of the Rings triology and as the cross-country horse racer in the underrated Hidalgo.

Brendan Fraser - High likeability quotient. He’s got that semi-nerdy Midwestern, aw-shucks sensibility that Indy possesses but does he have Indy’s grit? Maybe a little too goofy, but we like the guy.

Nic Cage – The wild card. Cage could either nail the part or nuke it. He’s got Indy’s dry humor and sarcasm but will he throw a little too much Elvis (and thus, his alter-ego self)) into the part?

Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon - A little too obvious, perhaps? Hey, you gotta throw in the two biggest name in Hollywood, dontcha? For his part, Damon has said that his turn in the Bourne Ultimatum will be his last go-around in the Bourne franchise which suggests his time in the action-adventure genre is done, for now. And Leo…? Great actor but he lacks Indy’s gruff masculinity and broad-shouldered American- everyman presence.





So there you have it..... To the the polls!

15 comments:

B-Daddy said...

Dean,
Since no votes have yet been received, I would like to nominate Hugh Jackman and maybe add him to the post or poll. His most notable roll, my opinion, was that of Wolverine in the X-Men series. I think he can pull off the one-liners, has the ruggedness and still is a pretty decent actor overall to be the next Indy.

B-Daddy said...

Dean,
One more comment, your original list reminds me of the Republican presidential field. They all have their charms, but I just can't get behind any one of them wholeheartedly.

Anonymous said...

Dean,
I am going to add Ben Affleck...he has the self effacing humor and if I am trapped in caves somewhere I'd certainly want him to swoop in and save me! :)

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaack, Let's go beat up some rick Nazis, Ben, aaaaaaack!

- Mongo

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaack, Let's learn how to spell r-i-c-h, Mongo, aaaaaaack!

- Mongo

tigerlily said...

I vote for Brendan Fraser. He has the personality and the right look for this role. He might have to toughen up a little but is an ideal choice in pulling off Indy's humorous moments. He looks good in that ever famous hat of Indy's.

tigerlily said...

I vote for Brendan Fraser. He has the personality and the right look for this role. He might have to toughen up a little but is an ideal choice in pulling off Indy's humorous moments. He looks good in that ever famous hat of Indy's.

tigerlily said...

I vote for Brendan Fraser. He has the personality and the right look for this role. He might have to toughen up a little but is an ideal choice in pulling off Indy's humorous moments. He looks good in that ever famous hat of Indy's.

Dean said...

Missy, I'm kind of with spelling bee Mongo on this one. I can't shake my image of him being little more than a wise-cracking, Bostonian punk. But as they say... Beau-tay is in the eye of the cave-dweller.

Tigerlily, I think Brendan Fraser has my vote, as well. Affable, humble yet masculine enough to make it all work.

B-Daddy said...

Dean,
There's that word, "affable", again. Makes me want go out and vote for Mitt. K T, You reading?

Anonymous said...

All the choices are good actors, (except for Ben Affleck... he's just Gay)But I think you have to go with some new blood for Indy. I can't see any of these guys taking over the role.

Dean said...

Mr. Styles, Write-in candidates are most welcome.

Anonymous said...

How about Daniel Craig...if he can get rid of his British accent. He is awesome as the new Bond, and I think he would fit the whole intellectual Professor/swashbuckling adventurer Archeologist to a tee. I’m a little surprised no one threw Brad Pitts name in the mix either. That’s another name that I think could pull off the role as Indy.

K T Cat said...

DiCaprio. I hated him until I saw The Aviator. Now I think he's a genius.

Road Dawg said...

Brad Pitt or Kevin Bacon were not on your list.

tiger lilly has 3 votes cast for Brenden, what is this, american idol?

Brenden has already done the genre, and quite well, in the Mummy set. It might be too hard for him to pull it off and be a different character.

DiCaprio doesn't seem to have the sense of humor, and Damon just doesn't seem to fit, although I think both of these guys are terrific actors.

Ben AAAAfleck is only a mediocre actress, so can't even be in the running. And what is the attraction of women to gay men? ("oohh, they make me laugh")

I vote Kevin Bacon