Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Real Agents of "Change."

From the outstanding HBO mini-series “John Adams”. Here is Adams’ speech just prior to the signing of the Declaration of Independence. (Don’t panic – speech is just over 3:30. The balance of clip is a reading of the Declaration itself… and we’re all familiar with that, aren’t we?)




One of our favorite moments from the mini came when Adams was in the French court along with Ben Franklin. At the dinner table, Adams, the newcomer, was being tested by his hosts to see what pithy and thought-provoking responses he could give to their purposely off-balance questioning. When asked what hobbies he had (art…? the theater…?), Adams responded: “I do not have hobbies. I have no time for hobbies. I study politics and warfare so that my children can study engineering and medicine so that my grandchildren can study art and the theater.”

H/T: Coaches' Hot Seat ... no kidding

1 comment:

K T Cat said...

Terrific post! Now I want to go get the miniseries.