Friday, August 8, 2008

Catchin' up with Ezra


A happy (?) ending to yet another example of bureaucratic thuggery was achieved yesterday as the Alberta Human Rights Commission dismissed the complaint of discrimination filed against Ezra Levant by the Edmonton Council of Muslim Communities for reprinting the Danish cartoons of Mohammed some 2-1/2 years ago.

Whew…. There was a lot of time spent by some very diligent civil servants in determining whether or not Levant had actually committed any crimes and Levant himself shelled-out some coin to defend himself against this and other lawsuits against him that are still in progress…. so you would think Levant would be pretty happy, no?

Not quite.

Pardeep Gundara – a second-rate bureaucrat, a nobody – had to give me his approval for me to be allowed to go back to my business. For 900 days I was in the dock, waiting for this literary giant to pronounce his judgment on me. And I found favour in his eyes – but barely.

Sorry. I don’t give a damn what Gundara or the HRC says. Getting his approval is not a success. I won't legitimize his arrogant "authority" by saying "thank you, master". I'll say: "who the hell are you? Besides a busy-body bureaucrat?"

Look at his rationale for acquitting me: because the Western Standard met Gundara’s home-made tests of reasonableness. We published the cartoons in “context”; we published letters that “criticized” them; and my favourite, the cartoons weren’t “simply stuck in the middle” of the magazine. Gundara must have thought for ten whole minutes to come up with that list of journalistic do’s and don’t’s. And – phew! – he likes me. He really likes me!

Sorry again, I don’t give a damn if he likes me. In fact, it rather creeps me out that a whole squad of teat-sucking bureaucrats spent 900 days inspecting me and the Western Standard. I positively want to offend them. In fact, that’s pretty much the only test of my freedom: can I do exactly what Gundara says I shouldn’t? I’m not interested in publishing recipes or sports scores. I’m interested in bothering the hell out of government.


Did we ever mention how much we love this guy?

Levant later references the Rev. Stephen Boissoin who was “sentenced” never to speak about homosexuality again and wonders why it is he got off the hook but Boissoin did not. Levant suggests that he was just too big of a pain-in-the-ass and his star turns in his YouTube videos of the AHRC “hearings” made the AHRC look petty, subjective yet intellectually feeble all at once… all adding up to one huge PR nightmare for them. We would tend to agree but if they decided to cut bait, what took them so long? Oh yeah… we did say intellectually feeble, did we not?

We’ll try to dig up the dirt on Boissoin because his treatment at the hands of the AHRC was perhaps even more egregious than that of Levant’s.

1 comment:

Road Dawg said...

This is the poster child for free speach.

When I read, "Did we ever mention how much we love this guy?"..I was thinking as much as I read and re-read and SAVORED every word.

Thank you Dean for brightening our day!!!

'Dawg