Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chicago" (UPDATED)


The machine political structure of Chicago is thwarting an attempt that will provide hundreds of jobs to Chicago’s recession-suffering citizens. How can this be? At a time when it appears that the big cities are being hit hardest by unemployment, there is a fantastic opportunity to get people of the dole and back into the workforce and it’s being shot down?

Surely, community groups like ACORN can organize a counter-offensive to overcome the completely counter-intuitive efforts of the Chicago city council.

What’s that…? Oh, never mind.

B-Daddy has more, here.

(UPDATE #1): While reading B-Daddy’s post on the Wal-Mart in Chicago (or lack, thereof), the story had a ring of familiarity to it. Sure enough, we google-searched and came up with the George Will article we remember reading 3 years ago talking about the same exact thing. It seems even the sands of time cannot cure the left’s hatred for Wal-Mart. Article can be found here.

2 comments:

eriehm said...

A few years ago, I went to a Wal-Mart bashing at CalState Fullerton. There was a movie followed by a discussion of this insidious curse. The movie was mainly about Wal-Mart’s exploitation of Asian workers and their coaching of employees on how to get State benefits rather than providing them. ( According to a resent OCReg article, Wal-Mart has doubled the annual salary of over 400,00 Chinese workers.) The most interesting thing about the movie was that its sponsors included the ACLU and Sierra Club. The first thing that I learned in the discussion time is that you do not just say, “I don’t shop at Wal-Mart.” You must say it very disdainfully with heavy emphasis on the “I.” It was so obvious that besides the union issue there is a huge snobbery issue. (Dean was right) After hearing my fill, I opened with “If Wal-Mart don’t got it, I don’t need it” and told them about seeing an Hawaiian shirt at Wal-Mart for around $8. I then had some business at the mall and as I passed thru a store , I saw a similar shirt for $34 and then one for $44 in the next store. I then asked if anyone could explain why I should 4 to 5 times as much for a shirt that came off the same assembly line in Asia. Silence! It was a very instructive afternoon. Dad

Dean said...

Pops, the instigator! I love it!