Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Generosity of Spirit

Maybe I have just grown too cynical, but I am stunned by the generosity of Americans in general and San Diegans in particular in the wake of the fires we are suffering through. At various times yesterday and today, I have heard news reports of shelter centers asking that people stop bringing food and supplies, at least temporarily. The shelters had received more than they could handle. When I asked colleagues who had to evacuate if they had a place to stay, everyone had already been taken in by friends or relatives. A colleague of mine from New Orleans asked my advice on where to send blankets, water and food. A good friend of Mrs. Daddy's and mine even offered to have her boss and his daughter stay with her, on no notice, without opportunity to clean up her place. (Those of you who think this is no big deal are.... men.) My street is full of cars and RVs I don't recognize, all of my neighbors are taking people in. I think half a million people (20% of our population) have evacuated their homes. Amazingly, our city is taking it in stride, taking care of our neighbors, giving liberal time off at our places of employ, and generally following Jesus' command to feed the hungry and give drink to the thirsty. No decent sports on the TV tonight and that's a good thing. It gives me a chance to count my blessings, not the least of which is that we live in such a generous nation.

5 comments:

Road Dawg said...

It was almost discomforting to here that the Federal Government was sending officials to oversee the disaster, as reported by Fox news this morning. As I listened to KOGO, (after they were restored from being knocked off the air) and KFI with the breaking news of the Governor’s speech, I was further appalled. Clapping and thanking and glad-handing one another telling each other that they were there for our support.

Am I being too cynical also? They can’t do this without a photo op? Lots of introductions, many pitiful faces,..... but why weren’t the Federal C130s in the air on day 1? Chain of command, bureaucracy, who cares. Those planes should have been on standby and in the air when needed. That’s the government response I want. Two days later is too late.

Government needs to stop congratulating themselves about sending funds and work on mitigating damages.

Dean said...

'Dawg, I don't want to jump to any quick conclusions but I've got similar questions about the coordinated response to these fires as I did regarding the Cedar fire in '03, though far fewer.

I've been told that the winds were too strong for the big tankers to go up on Monday... but aren't the tanker airframes (C-2s?) the same that go hurricane hunting?

Whatever... From my vantage point, these fires are being managed about as well as could be expected.

Road Dawg said...

Yes, as I listened to Roger Hedgcock on KOGO, I am of the understanding this is being handled much better than the Cedar fires of '93.
But it was still into the second day (Monday)before authorization was granted to deploy the big tankers.

Anonymous said...

Somebody brought up a fairly decent point on TV the other day. Even if the heavier duty helicopters and air tankers could have gotten up (which they insist they could not given the heavy wind) the chances that the water and retardant they dropped would have hit the flames with the wind hitting it was minimal. - Mongo

Road Dawg said...

As usual, I got us way off the topic. I guess my point is that I feel better about San Diego taking care of their own, than nanny Swartzenager and the seven dwarfs.

As I watch Fox and CNN (Headline News, with, oh, yeah.. Robin Mead)it was awesome to watch the almost jaw-dropping expresions on their faces as the nature of San Diego was on display in the wake of such turmoil.