Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bold Prediction: Romney Will Win NH

B-Daddy here. In an attempt to add to my long string of poor electoral predictions, I am predicting a win for Mitt Romney over John McCain in the New Hampshire Republican primary. I believe that the independents that John McCain needs to win in New Hampshire will be going wild for Obama, depriving him of his left of right base. I am not saying that Mitt Romney deserves to win. He has had an opportunity to define himself to voters and chose instead to stay away from a single theme that would capture the imagination of America. Too bad, because he seems like a decent guy. But by failing to bring his candidacy into focus, he looks like a typical waffling politician. Regardless, I think the combination of Romney's very good debate performance Sunday and Obamamania will sink McCain. OK, New Hampshire, go out and prove me wrong....again.

As an aside, while everyone else is looking for the return of Ronald Reagan, I think the Republican party needs the return of Barry Goldwater. This is because he drew sharp distinctions that laid the solid foundation for what the Republican party became in later years, when it achieved success for itself and for America. Further, I believe that Goldwater's thinking would be much more accepted by the America of today than of 1964.

7 comments:

Dean said...

B-Daddy, I guess I have to return the prognisticating condolences.

Huck was supposedly in trouble because, NH was (allegedly) all "no tax, no goverenment".... so they go out and vote for McCain????

K T Cat said...

Yay! Mittens lost!

B-Daddy said...

KT,
I understand your dislike of Mitt, but I am a little concerned about Huckabee winning the Republican nomination. The more I look at him, the more I see a populist in the mold of William Jennings Bryan. That scares me, because, win or lose in November, if Huckabee is the nominee, the country will lurch to the left.

B-Daddy said...

All the readers of this blog can now enjoy my discomfiture at another blown election prediction. I can now admit that I actually bet Dukakis would beat Bush, père in 1988. At the time, I was feeling invincible, having just won a bet that the Dodgers would beat the heavily favored Oakland Athletics in the '88 World Series. Needless to say I went 1-1 on big bold predictions that year.

Road Dawg said...

Fumble it, Fumble it,
F-U-M-B.ELIOT!

Dean said...

'Dawg, Oh no you didn't... Oh no you didn't. Please tell me you didn't just go there? Oh the humanity!

Anonymous said...

I think it best to stay out of his area of operation for awhile.

From a laptop in Rancho B.

The Dawg