Sunday, February 3, 2008

Classless

B-Daddy here. I did not see the whole Super Bowl, only the fourth quarter. Mrs. Daddy, the chillins and I had a family mini-vacation in Los Osos and had a great time visiting friends schooling at Cal Poly SLO. The return trip found us hitting Ventura around kick off. I am taking the fifth on average speeds attained, but I doubt I will ever again make such good time through LA and Orange Counties in daylight.

Back to the game, or rather its bizarre finish. I write as one not tainted by listening to nor reading any spin. After the final Hail Mary from Tom Brady, it was clear to me the refs needed to put time back on the clock, which had expired. I know this and I'm sitting in my living room. This would then allow the New York Giants and Eli Manning one kneel down and perhaps a little extra celebratory bravado. Enter Belicheck. As soon as he started walking out on the field, my first reaction was, "Holy crap, this guy wants to force the end of the game to deny the Giants a little well earned celebration on their final kneel down." There was no doubt in my mind that there was evil intent as Belicheck crossed the field. Then just as he is shaking Tom Coughlin's hand, the referees finally intervene and start regaining control so the Giants can play the game's final down. Meanwhile, BELICHECK HAS LEFT THE FIELD! On the final play of the game, he didn't have the decency to remain on the field and take a little responsibility for the chaos he had deliberately created. The fact that he did not remain is my evidence that he knew what he was doing.

It's one thing to want to win. But to be so lacking in grace in defeat has the end result that no one will give you respect in victory.

4 comments:

Dean said...

Mongo and I were watching the game and I reckoned that this was a situation where basketball shows infinetely more wisdom than the rigid imperialist constructs of American professional football... same situation in hoops and the refs declare "GAME OFF... Thanks for coming out and Good night from the Olympic. We outta here!"

Belichik confirmed himself to be the classless schlub he's always been.

Never thought I'd hear myself say it but... Congrats to Eli and the NY Giants. Well played boys, well played.

Anonymous said...

WHO CARES. Game was decided, Hoodie shook hands, conceded defeat, Scoreboard and.... scene!

"Allowing for perhaps a bit more celebratory bravado?" Even I think that's a lame excuse to whip a dead horse (no offense to Michael Strahan's Chicklets).

Sincerely,

Brian Boitano

Dean said...

After the way Belichik has carried himself over the years and with more "spy-gate" looming in the near-future, Belichik has all this coming.

Sportsmanship and fair play is a real bitch now, ain't it?

Anonymous said...

Belichek MUST be forgiven. He has had no practice at losing all year. This is why he is a poor loser.

The Rainbow Co'lition