Friday, February 1, 2008

Hey, Who Let this Guy in Here?


The center-left conscience of this site, the Substitute, made it down to Cox Arena today for the Hillary Clinton campaign rally. We’ll post his pictures and verbal dispatch of the goings on later (probably tomorrow) but first he had some thoughts on the debate last night between Clinton and Obama. Subby, the floor is yours:

I wanted to vote for Obama.


I really did. I like the message of hope, and unity, and the palatability to moderate and progressive Republicans. I liked it all. The image of a blackman with an impressive speaking style and command of the facts, able to inspire. What's not to like?


So I'm voting for Hillary in Tuesday's Super Tuesday primary. And all it took was the first 30 minutes of a two-hour debate for me to get my candidate.


Why? How does an undecided voter decide in 30 minutes or less an issue thatcould impact the next 8 years of his life?


To this California Democrat, It's the Border, Stupid. And Hillary last night during the Kodak Theatre debate and again today at Cox Arena at SanDiego State laid out an immigration plan with more conviction and a promise to secure the borders that rang with much more sincerity than Mr. Obama.


As I made my way back from Hillary's rally today, an NPR radio report came across with information that Obama's L.A. campaign headquarters is filled with boxes of red "Si Se Puede!" signs for his supporters.


Obama, it would appear, is not my guy for border control.


The border. I was telling a relative yesterday that 20 years ago in college, while coming home early in the morning from one of our frequent nights of partying in Tijuana, Mexico, we would witness as we were driving home illegal immigrants literally running in the lanes next to us up the I-5 northbound -- desperately trying to allude the clutches of the BorderPatrol. And, for the most part, succeeding.


Flash forward 20 years later, and the same problem still exists. Oh, sure, it's been moved over 20 miles into the San Diego mountains and points east. But it's the same problem, and with illegal aliens after the same things as my college days: Draining American resources, both financial and environmental.


And, for me, it's much more than just the fundamental unfairness of people cutting in line to get their slice of the American Pie. To me, it's environmental degradation, resource consumption, quality of life, quality of education, national security, and on down the line. There is scarcely a nook or cranny issue in America where illegal immigration doesn't make it's broad impact felt.


Example? An L.A. Times article today reports that the western snow pack will be quite adversely effected by global warming. It's inevitable that drastic water-saving measures are coming. It's also ironic that the same restaurants who claim to need illegal immigrats to bring me my glass ofwater with my meal are now saying they won't bring me water unless I request it. Not enough to go around. Given the Golden State's population is now 1/3 Hispanic and climbing rapidly, I'm left to wonder that if my waiter, and the 12 million of questionable status like him, weren't here in the first placeif I could go ahead and have that glass of water to wash down my meal. I'd gladly get up from the table myself to pour it. It's not something that's"beneath an American", as some pro-illegal immigrant activists would suggest.


Now, that's kind of a cheeky example. But if you multiply it by a thousand other examples -- some much more serious -- you start to get an idea of where I'm coming from. To me, water resources are a pretty big deal. Afterall I was born and raised in the arid desert west. But, back to the topic...


Hillary pledged today at San Diego State and at the debate last night that she would secure the borders. That, plus her more rudimentary Democratic causes and her experience, sowed it up for me. She further pledged that she is so specific about her policies because she wants us to hold her accountable.


...Well, Hills... You're on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know, BWD, you cruise along with a brilliant, conservative message day after day.

And then, for reasons not at all comprehensible, you let in this no-talent hack, The Substitute, on a quarterly basis.

Why? Is this Be Kind to Morons Day? Even if the guy was right of Ronald Reagan, his skills as a writer peaked somewhere back when he was scurrying around in Underroos.

Bobby Knight once famously said, "We all learned to write in third grade. Must of us went on to bigger things". I don't think The General would give The Substitute even that much credit.

Don't ever do it again, BWD.

- Mongo

Dean said...

Mongo, I'd call it charity or even pity but I'm too cold and callous for all that.

I'd call it phoning-it in on a Friday night.

And speaking of the candidates left standing and further speaking of Bobby Knight, wasn't he the one that quipped to Connie Chung some years back about just riding-out an impending non-consensual reproductive act with a big-ass ol' smile on your face?

K T Cat said...

At first I read it as "Obama is not my gay for border control." That didn't seem to make much sense. Then again, not much on the Democratic side does.

What do you think of using the Leslie Gore's tune, "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" as Obama's theme song?