This is what Reason.TV's cameras picked up at an LA teachers' union rally on May 13 urging for an extension of temporary tax increases that Governor Brown is seeking to put on the ballot in a special election in June. Referendum rules in the state dictate that 2/3rds of both houses are needed to put measures on the ballot and in both cases, 2 Republicans will need to be flipped in order to make this happen.
1. Is it part of the permitting process that labor/union rallies must provide crappy folk music? And that at least 1 in 10 participants be burned-out, pony-tailed, ex-hippie types.
2. Union boss A.J. Duffy is a punk. We covered some of his antics in the past.
3. (2:29) Tax families based upon how many children they have in the school system. A user's fee, really. Color us intrigued.
4. (3:02) As we have said many times before and despite pleas of ignorance from the Che'-adorned woman, one does not have to scratch too far beneath the surface at these types of rallies to get at the core principles of income redistribution and classic Marxist class warfare.
5. May 13 was a Friday. A school day. Priorities.
Oh, and that $2.5 billion more in revenue than projected in order to close the $15.4 billion deficit didn't make the sell job of the tax extensions any easier.