Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Smack of the day





Alternate headline: We're all flag-waving unauthorized and semi-unilateral kinetic military action assassins now, brother


As much as I am now embarrassed to admit it, if you had asked me 48 hours ago whether Osama Bin Laden would ever be brought to justice I would have probably answered "no." Like many Americans I had all but abandoned hope that we would ever capture or kill the 9/11 mastermind, and had resigned myself to the idea he would die an old man thumbing his nose at us from some comfortable cave in Waziristan. Well, I can happily report that I completely underestimated the skill, courage, and perseverence of America's military. And, almost as happily, I can report that I also completely underestimated the capacity of America's erstwhile "peace community" for turning on a dime and embracing the kind of all-American xenophobic flag-waving bloodlust they only recently decried. So today I stand proudly with my new friends of the formerly antiwar left in a mindlessly jingoistic salute to President Obama for an extralegal military assassination well done.

And...

Little did I know that this untested young Commander-in-Chief would muster the courage to read his weekly Gallup numbers and, in one daring unilateral extra-judicial targeted hit job, toss aside every single idiotic foreign policy principle of his election campaign.


No one out there we are aware of runs it quite like P.J. O'Rourke and Iowahawk.

Check out the rest, here.

7 comments:

SarahB said...

priceless!

Anonymous said...

"Little did I know that this untested young Commander-in-Chief would muster the courage to read his weekly Gallup numbers and, in one daring unilateral extra-judicial targeted hit job, toss aside every single idiotic foreign policy principle of his election campaign."

During the election campaign then candidate Obama had given campaign speeches saying that if he had actionable intel on bin Laden, he would go after him, with or without the host countries' permission and in fact he had taken heat from both McCain and Clinton for that position. From a townhall meeting: "And if we have Osama bin Laden in our sights and the Pakistani government is unable or unwilling to take them out, then I think that we have to act and we will take them out. We will kill bin Laden; we will crush Al Qaeda. That has to be our biggest national security priority."

Just sayin'...

steve said...

Anon-Dont confuse them with facts. I wonder what the idiotic foreign policy principles were?

Steve

Dean said...

Anon, thanks for commenting. I did indeed give Obama credit for not just one but two campaign promises kept, the hunting down of bin Laden being one of them.

I'm not sure, however, if unauthorized drone strikes for the ostensible purpose of assassinating dictators, as in the case of Gadaffi/Libya, was ever addressed on the campaign trail. I'm going to need to do some homework on that.

Dean said...

Credit due:

http://beerswithdemo.blogspot.com/2011/05/wrapping-up.html

Anonymous said...

If you know that, why debase your blog with hyperbolic half-truths that only drives the wedge further in?

Dean said...

I'm not really sure what you're talking about.