Saturday, May 19, 2012

Radio KBwD is on the air




.

A certain person near and dear to our heart has a tough time with our contention that while Stevie Ray Vaughan is our favorite guitar player, we recognize Jimi Hendrix as the greatest guitar player of all-time. It is indeed a distinction with a difference.


It is our opinion that over 40 years on, people are still trying to catch up to what Hendrix was doing. Where things were pretty much on a linear scale and black and white, he went 3-dimensional and full-blown technicolor with his guitar style.


And while we possibly confused Hendrix's free-wheeling style for being a little ragged around the edges, we always felt Stevie to be the more technically proficient player.




Since making this a covers competition would belittle the talents of both men and which would be an exercise in unsavoriness, you can find Jimi's "Voodoo Chile" very easily on Youtube. In the meantime, here is Stevie performing that song off his album Couldn't Stand the Weather:






4 comments:

Mostly Nothing said...

We lost both way too soon. And while we never saw the worst of Jimi, we certainly saw the worst of SRV with Soul to Soul.

But Jimi has nothing to compare to Rivera Paradise or Lenny.

I saw SRV at Starlight Theater in Swope Park in Kansas City, In Step tour. Truly amazing. The ignorant concert reviewer in the KC Star said there were too many guitar solos.

I was living in Chicago when Alpine Valley happened. Chicago radio didn't advertise it. I found out the day before. Had I konwn eariler, I would have gone.

I love Jimi, but Stevie is the best of all time.

Dean said...

MN, thanks for those thoughts.

I got to see Stevie twice, both times in NY when I was going to school there. Mind bending.

Worst weekend of my life: August of 1900 when I got into a pretty serious car wreck, got food poisoning and found out about the death of Stevie all within 36 hrs. of each other. Sucky all the way around.

Anonymous said...

What's up, I desire to subscribe for this blog to take most up-to-date updates, therefore where can i do it please help.

My web blog ... Bench Craft Company advertising agency names

Anonymous said...

kobe shoes
off white outlet
goyard outlet
fear of god hoodie
kyrie 7