Thursday, January 20, 2011

Random Facebook observation of the day

The "Chat" function on Facebook is simultaneously annoying and creepy at once.

You are effortlessly and mindlessly skimming over the waters of FB Nation when, out of the blue, you hear that "pop" and see the chat window... "What's up?"

"Well, I was mindlessly surfing Facebook (and now I'm forced to drop everything in order to engage and respond to your hopelessly open-ended query in a manner that would indicate that I'm pleased to have this opportunity to interact with you."

The "chat" function on Facebook, is the cyber-equivalent of "dropping-by" a friend's house un-announced. It could turn out to be a really welcome surprise but it is still a surprise none the less.

Best not to take any chances. All things being equal, call or email first.

Thanks.

7 comments:

W.C. Varones said...

"I was just having some alone time with pictures of Christine O'Donnell."

Foxfier said...

You have your chat enabled?

Road Dawg said...

Facebook is evil:
Reason #53 unwanted chat interuptions.

Reason #4 Snoopy Moms shouldn't have to hear what the son's girlfriend is up to.

Thanks for the additional ammunition!

Dean said...

Foxie,
As an act of commission, I never enabled it to start with.

I assume then, I can "dis-able" it.

Consider it done.


'Dawg,
Reason #4 (amended): "...what the son's girlfriend is up to with the son".


Ed, TMI!!!

Foxfier said...

I HATE being randomly chatted at because someone was just too bored. >.<

First thing I do when I open facebook on a new computer is disable it. Wish I could totally disable it.

Harrison said...

Cool now I can pester you! I keep my chat disabled. If you want to talk with me, use the phone.

SEO Manchester said...

That’s a wonderful post. I am really grateful to you for providing me with such useful information. Keep up the good works.