We meant to get around to this last week but never got the chance. By now, you are aware of the charges being brought against the Philadelphia abortion doctor, Kermit Gosnell, so consider the following a bit of a refresher.
A West Philadelphia abortion doctor, his wife and eight other suspects are now under arrest following a grand jury investigation.
Dr. Kermit Gosnell, 69, faces eight counts of murder in the deaths of a woman following a botched abortion at his office, along with the deaths of seven other babies who, prosecutors allege, were born alive following illegal late-term abortions and then were killed by severing their spinal cords with a pair of scissors.
Here is one of the introductory paragraphs from the grand jury's report:
This case is about a doctor who killed babies and endangered women. What we mean is that he regularly and illegally delivered live, viable babies in the third trimester of pregnancy — and then murdered these newborns by severing their spinal cords with scissors. The medical practice by which he carried out this business was a filthy fraud in which he overdosed his patients with dangerous drugs, spread venereal disease among them with infected instruments, perforated their wombs and bowels — and, on at least two occasions, caused their deaths. Over the years, many people came to know that something was going on here. But no one put a stop to it.
Because he destroyed so many of his records no one knows for sure just how many babies he murdered. So, how was he able to get away with it? The grandy jury report (which can be found here) details the following:
● The Pennsylvania Department of Health knew of clinic violations dating back decades, but did nothing.
● The Pennsylvania Department of State was “repeatedly confronted with evidence about Gosnell” — including the clinic’s unclean, unsterile conditions, unlicensed workers, unsupervised sedation, underage abortion patients, and over-prescribing of pain pills with high resale value on the street — “and repeatedly chose to do nothing.”
● Philadelphia Department of Public Health officials who regularly visited Gosnell’s human-waste-clogged offices did nothing.
● Nearby hospital officials who treated some of the pregnant mothers who suffered grave complications from Gosnell’s butchery did nothing.
● An unnamed evaluator with the National Abortion Federation, the leading association of abortion providers that is supposed to uphold strict health and legal standards, determined that Gosnell’s chamber of horrors was “the worst abortion clinic she had ever inspected” — but did nothing.
Hey, look. A pricing menu. How thoughtful.
A cock-fighting ring would not have received such generous treatment.
Our good friend Leslie of Temple of Mut has started up an alternate faith-based blog where she intends to take on the culture of death that surrounds this particular case and which informs much of the debate on the pro-abortion side. Please go check out her post on the subject at Flight into Egypt.
The liberal-Left wanted desperately for the Tucson shooter to be a tea-partier and when they had to settle for him merely being an apolitical loon, they still insisted that a culture of incivility bred by the right wing spurred him to his violent and murderous act. Epic fail on both counts.
However, after decades of this abortion clinic butcher shop existing and operating in the manner it was and with full knowledge of the authorities who still did nothing about it - how can this whole sick and wretched situation not be ascribed to the culture of death bred by the abortion-industrial complex in this country?
Addendum #1: Via KT, commenter flataffect at Chicagoboyz:
Here I thought the benefit of legalized abortion was that women wouldn’t be forced into the butchery of back-alley abortions, but could go to clean, professional facilities. Now it turns out that the thing was really just about killing babies, after all.