Saturday, November 21, 2009

Beer Review: Stone Smoked Porter

B-Daddy here. For a blog with beer in its name, I feel there is scant attention paid to this important topic. Here is another attempt by your BwD Ombudsman to rectify this state of affairs. Dean got me out to K&B Wine Cellar last week, which despite its name, is a fairly decent restaurant, in addition to phenomenal liquor and beer store. (Both the lavash and lamb shanks were excellent.) It was Beer Week in San Diego, and K&B had a special going, offering "flights" of beer, three at a time in the most generous four ounces I have ever seen in my life. This particular night Stone and Alesmith were featured. I had the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous ale, Stone Anniversary Ales and the vanilla Smoked Porter.

The Porter was so delish, thought I would see how it tasted out of the bottle; I have been sampling over the last week. I conclude that, as usual, not as good as on draft, but a very satisfying porter indeed. As someone who occasionally favors a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, I was not intimidated by the dark color of this beer. It has Stone's characteristic hoppiness, but not as overwhelming as in an IPA due to the strength of the roasted barley flavor that has a strong hint of coffee to it. The mix of hops with the strong dark flavors in this beer make this porter one of my favorites.

Also, props to Max at K&B who STRONGLY suggested my beer choices that evening and was right on.

1 comment:

Harrison said...

I prefer 1664 myself. Or Beck's Dark.