Tuesday, January 19, 2010

We're all pick-up truck drivers, now! (UPDATED..again)




(UPDATE #1): Please check out B-Daddy's excellent wrap-up/analysis of Scott Brown's monumental victory in Massachusett(e)s last night, here.

Allow us to pull a quote from B-Daddy's piece:

"(Chris) Matthews (of MSNBC) did say something that I think was correct. He said that people support big government when it works, when it builds highways that work and universities that are good. He implied but did not state that people would support big government run health care if it worked. But we know that will never happen. Further, the things he discusses happened in an era of much smaller government. Today, government is so large, it can't even do it's traditional job well, which seems to be lost on Matthews..."



(UPDATE #2): How predictable has the liberal-Left media establishment become?

Before we answer this question you need to check out this exchange last night on MSNBC between Keith Olbermann and Newsweek’s Howard Fineman:

KEITH OLBERMANN: One last aspect, and this is not necessarily pretty. 1964, 1965 the greatest years of civil-rights change in this country since Emancipation and in the 1966 midterms the Republicans took 47 seats from the House from the Democrats, and most of those elections had clear racial undertones, man had overtones.

The Republicans and the Tea Partiers will tell you what happens with Scott Brown tonight whether he wins or comes close is a repudiation of Obama policies. And surely one of Obama's policies from the viewpoint of his opponents is it's OK to have this sea-change in American history--to have an African-American president. Is this vote to any degree just another euphemism, the way 'states rights' was in the '60s?

HOWARD FINEMAN: Wow, that is a good question. I would look first at the polls. If you look at polling, all the new polls including the NBC poll and the CBS poll, Barack Obama is overwhelmingly liked personally by the American people. I think for most of the American people race is no respect a part of the equation. Maybe not in Massachusetts but maybe in some places there are codes, there are images, there are pick-up trucks. You can say there's a racial aspect --

OLBERMANN: O-o-o-f. What were the Scott Brown ads, though? Every one of the Scott Brown ads had him in a pick-up truck.

(italics, ours)

Yes, you read that correctly. Pick-up trucks are code for I don’t cotton to the darkie.. But back to the question of the utter predictableness of Olbermann and his ilk.

Their act has become so draw by the numbers that a genius like Iowhawk can parody the act a full week before they give in any material by which to parody.

6 comments:

B-Daddy said...

Dang, I had my eyes on that new Ford F-150 or a Toyota Tundra. This makes it tough.

Road Dawg said...

It was reminiscent of Clinton assisting Gore. Was it really helpful? The scenario was painfully remindful of failed attempts to secure assistance from the EU, security agreements with the Russians, or the Olympics. The Dude has a very low batting average. If I were a Democrat, I’d respectfully request he stay at home.

Being the pendulum ‘Dawg, I worry the momentum hasn’t swung hard enough to rock the nation, but I am also mindful of Bdaddy and Dean’s admonition regarding legislation that can’t be undone.

W.C. Varones said...

B-Daddy,

I think you still have to boycott Government Motors.

I assume Brownie bought his GM (as I did) before GM was nationalized.

Road Dawg said...

I vote for the "sign of the day" seen at Brown's victory speech: WAS THAT LOUD ENOUGH?

K T Cat said...

So my 84 Datsun 710 pickup truck means I'm a racist? Score!

B-Daddy said...

Dean, thanks for the link and quote.

WC, thanks for the tip, love your blog. I am probably at least a year out from a purchase as I repair my personal balance sheet. I am probably a sucker, but can't help my "old school" thinking.